we plan the world of tomorrow.
Bisagno river diversion (Italy)
THE PROJECT CONCERNS THE DESIGN OF LAMINATION AND CONTROL WORKS OF THE FLOODS OF BISAGNO RIVER AND ALSO THE FLOOD CONTROL OF THE FEREGGIANO, ROVARE AND NOCE STREAMS.
Project: Flood control works on the Bisagno River
Location: Liguria Region, Italy
Client: Provincial administration of Genova
Cost of total Works: 153.427.629 €
Services: Final Design
Period: 2003 - 2008
In the first years of 2000, occurred some flooding events in the Genova area. Some studies conducted by local River Basin Autority emphasized the risk of flooding of Genova by the Bisagno River and the Ferragiano, Rovare and Noce streams.
- expand the river section in the most critical stretch
- build a drainage canal, to reduce the peak discharges flowing in the original riverbed
- a river barrage equipped with n. 3 radial gates
- a tunnel, with a horseshoe section with 9.5 m diameter, able to carry to the Tirreno sea, a portion of the flood discharges derived by a lateral weir; the tunnel is 6’650 m long
- three smaller diversion structures on the Fereggiano, Rovare and Noce streams, connected to the main tunnel through three tunnels 300 m long
- a sea outfall structure of the main tunnel
- two service tunnels
- the work of the dam: it consists of a cross with three spans of equal wide and controlled by three gates, other complementary works are: a building command and control, a building for the housing of the planks, and two runways service;
- the intake: it consists of a lateral spillway, with overflow Creager type profile, placed in the frieze to the left bank of the stream, variable width, connected to the main water supply;
- intervention on the riverbed: includes construction of a bridle, reinforced concrete, placed 200 m upstream of the dam, the reshaping of the riverbed trapezoidal cross-section for the entire section occupied by the works, and a series of thresholds for the bottom in reinforced concrete;
- pedestrian walkway: since the realization of the works involved the demolition of the existing footbridge, 350 m upstream of the bridge, Ugo Gallo has planned to realize a new bridle foot bridge in correspondence of the new bridle above described.
- the waves and the hydrodynamic currents in front of the mouth
- the stability of land cliff in the absence of any bulwark at sea
- the hydrodynamic conditions at the outfall for high flow rates exiting the scolmatore
- evaluation of the stresses determined by the extreme waves on the structure