we plan the world of tomorrow.
Rehabilitation of the dry dock “2” in the Arsenale of Venice
MAINTENANCE OPERATIONS FOR THE FUNCTIONALITY AND THE TECHNOLOGICAL UPGRADING OF EXISTING EQUIPMENT AT THE SERVICE OF THE DRY DOCK “MEDIUM” SUCH AS DOCK EQUIPMENTS, INDUSTRIAL FACILITIES DISTRIBUTION AND REVAMPING OF THE EMPTYING SYSTEM
Project: Rehabilitation of the infrastructures and the equipments of the “Medium” dry dock of the Arsenale of Venice (Italy)
Location: Venice, Italy
Client: Venezia Nuova Consortium for Ministry of Public Works - Water Board - Venice
Cost of total Works: € 16,083,648
Services: Conceptual, Preliminary, Final and Detailed Design
The northern area of Venice Arsenal is a key site for the management and maintenance activities for the MO.S.E. (flood protection) system of Venice lagoon. The area is currently used for ship maintenance and docking operations and is provided with two dry docks (“medium” and “large” dry dock) suitable for the unloading operations of the barriers and ship maintenance operations.
The structures in the northern area of the Venice Arsenal, including the medium dry dock and the surrounding existing infrastructures such as the pumping house, have an architectural and artistic value since they were built in the 19th century.
The main interventions that make up the project of restoration and adaptation of existing equipment and services of the "Medium" dry dock can be summarized as:
Reconfiguration of the side banks that includes:
- construction of new reinforced concrete (r.c.) rail beams and sub-foundation r.c. piles (i.e. FRP) in relation to the replacement of the existing quay cranes with new 20-ton cranes;
- reposition and restoration of the existing cast iron bollards and installation of new anchorage systems for mooring lines;
- replacement of all the 15 ton winches systems by means of construction of new r.c. foundations and electrical energy supply;
- construction of an underground r.c. boxed channel for housing and distribution of electrical LT lines for power supply and lighting purposes and “fluid” facilities (fire fighting system, potable and reclaimed water, compressed air) for docking operations;
- realization of a stormwater drainage system relative to the entire dry dock surrounding area including a rainwater treatment plant (grit and grease removal tank) before its discharge in the lagoon;
- implementation of the existing LT electrical distribution with the aim to supply energy to both present and future site configuration;
- Structural restoration of the underground hydraulic connection between the "Small" and "Medium" dry dock and subsequent installation of a submersible pump inside the existing well in order to control the emptying process of the dry dock and disposal of water derived from the internal docking operations to the future treatment plant;
- Provision of a suitable reinforced concrete industrial paving in relation to the heavy loads, the kinds of operations performed and architectonical project for the entire North Area of the Arsenale of Venice;
- Revamping of the pumping system for emptying the “Medium” dry dock of the Arsenale of Venice by substitution of the existing vertical pumps and pipelines and structural and architectonical restoration of the pumping house.