we plan the world of tomorrow.
New multipurpose platform in Vado Ligure
THE SAVONA PORT AUTHORITY PUBLISHED A TENDER, REGARDING THE ACTIVITIES OF DESIGNING, CONSTRUCTING AND OPERATING A NEW MULTIPURPOSE PLATFORM IN VADO LIGURE.
Cost of total Works: 380,000,000 €
Period: 01/2006 - 09/2007
The Multipurpose Platform is required to provide the following principal facilities:
a container terminal, including quays, storage areas, gate complex and buildings, and ancillary facilities;
the basic infrastructure for dry bulk (coal) and oil terminals, including quays and access roads, to replace the existing bulk and oil quays, to be demolished being on the site of the new Multipurpose Platform.
The Temporary Association formed by the contractors Maersk and Grandi Lavori Fincosit, and Technital, submitted a bid to the Savona Port Authority to develop the Multipurpose Platform and to operate the container terminal.
The bid was made, according to the Italian law, L. 109/1994 - Art. 37 bis after a preliminary design, developed by Technital S.p.A., on contract with the client (JV of contractors). Following the presentation of the preliminary design and relative offer, the tender was awarded to the group on 30th June 2006.
The works designed by Technital included:
- a platform 700 m long and 300 m wide, including container, oil and bulk cargo quays, to comprise a mainly open structure with a filled area at the landward end
- organization, for operational purposes, of the container area, 700 m long and 250 m wide, with containers stacked in 6 levels of height, with optimisation of the layout.
The design included:
- container stacks reefer plug-in points
- open storage areas, roads, equipment parking area and car park
- administration, operations and gate building
- workshop including amenities, stores and canteen
- rail mounted gantries (RMG) service area
- fuelling facilities
- rubber tyred gantry (RTG) service area
- equipment cleaning area
- substations, electrical power distribution and standby power generation for buildings, operational plant and facilities
- surface water drainage
- water supply and distribution system including storage tanks;
- fire fighting facilities
- sewerage network
- telecommunications, RF data links, security and CCTV systems;
- approach roads to the terminals;
- security fencing and gates.
The overall width of the platform is 300 m; the quay lengths are as follows:
Container quay: 700 m
Dry bulk quay: 340 m
Oil quay: 280 m
The new platform is to be built on the site where today two oil jetties and a dry bulk jetty are operative, and are to be maintained till the new facilities are operative themselves.
The structural solution for the open part of the platform consists or reinforced concrete caissons, pre-cast and flooded, founded on a rock layer placed on a transition granular layer; the existing soil under the transition layer must be properly consolidated with a preloading treatment. For the upper deck, a system of beams, pre-cast self bearing dalles and slabs cast “in situ” were considered. The beams are pre-cast and pre-stressed.
Reclamation necessary to create alongside the platform, a minor quay for the use of a ship construction and maintenance operator, is used to store the dredged material (about 500,000 m3), following the execution of an impermeable vertical closure with steel sheet-piles, for environmental purposes.